Preface

I don't want to look at anything else, I don't want to hear anything else, I don't want to think about anything else, other than my nature. I sit on my log by the stream. It's my place. On days full of stress, days of hunger, days of sickness, and especially a day like this, I come here and pretend I were just part of the nature. I don't know if I will have food to eat today, I don't know if my older brother will get chosen to die today, but if I sit here and look at the little ripples in the water when the minnows peck on the pollen that falls from the bushes, it might almost seem like I'm in another world for just a minute.
The shade from the the trees moves around as the wind blows on the surface of the stream and when the leaves fall at the same time it looks like dancing people. I just wish I could be that happy.
I am thirteen years old and I live in a place called Sector 12. There are only twelve sectors in all, but we happen to be the worst off. Not like the others are too much better, but the closer you get to the Prime, the more like them they tend to be. When the annual reaping day comes around, every person in my town cowers and knows if their name happens to be on the card, it will mean their imminent death. Meanwhile people in Sectors 1, 2, and 4 tend to volunteer. They prepare for the games and often reap the riches and fame that comes to the one who walks away victoriously... or rather, alive.
My older brother is 18 years old. It is his last year to be on a ballot, however, his name is in more than seventy times, meaning his chances are big. With every piece of food that he purchases from the government, they put his name in again. I am just learning to mine, which is what every male in our Sector does, but I don't make enough money to buy any food. If I could buy my own, I would. Instead I give it to my father, but my brother is the main supporter in our house, so he ends up with it, buying food. My dad can't do too much on his own, after the explosion, so I have to take care of him. With my brother being the man, he's ahead on the ballot than most 18 year olds.
Even though my name is only in one time, I still have fear of my card being drawn. But until 12 o'clock noon, I will sit here and stare at my nature. Stare and not think another thought about the Hunger Games.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem

Sing and Pray