Don't Go Don't Grow

The pit of the church but oh so alone
Sitting in a chair but staring in a phone
The screen is not lit, no pixels are bright
So I stare at the reflections of light
I'm gazing into eyes, not some I recall
Because the eyes are of a man standing shy but tall
The crowds are passing and people are joyous
But I sit alone, just me and my chorus
It hangs with me all day and whenever I need it
But it comes in my mind just when I can't sing it
So I hum in my mind thinking of the lyrics
While staring at the phone, where the mysterious mirror is
"Who is this person that I see tonight?
Could I know him better if I stand in the light?
I don't want to grow up, I don't want to move on
You will make that decision, then everything's gone."
Closer and closer I study that screen
It's not the yellow I expected, the light now seems green
I put the phone down, though not 'cause of fear
It seems as if I listen, there's something to hear
The birds started chirping and the ceiling's now blue
And I look down to the phone and out of it grew
A trunk of a tree that is still growing thick
And if I measured with tape, it would break like a stick
The chair I was in is now a tiny city
I'm a hundred feet tall and I finally feel like I'm winning
Is the growing up really that bad?
Because I can now get some money, and be a husband and dad
As I look at the ground the fungus start growing
And mushrooms and coreopsis are showing
I look for the phone so I can see how I've changed
But it's nowhere to be found, somebody threw it away
I will just yell for my... no, I don't know who to call
Everything's gone, nothing more to recall
I try to look up but I can't see a thing
The clouds blocked the sun and the rain's started to sing
"Who is this person, you can't see tonight
In a blink of an eye, you've lost all your light
You knew that if you grew up, the future would dawn
You made your decision and now everything's gone.
You made your decision and now everyone's gone."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poem

Sing and Pray