English Lesson

Son, here's your lesson for the day.
My most important rules, I'd say-
Don't apply them to writing,
Except when you write.
Because it's all about timing;
You'll see someday, I'm right.

I could teach you a lot;
My first rule: no alots.
There's no such beast in our diction;
No, not even fiction.

My second rule applies to grammar:
Thei're, it's solved.
There's a correct way to do things,
Don't make excuses and blend them all.

Number three, don't be,
Comma crazy,
Because, when you, are careful with punctuation,
It is just cause for a celebration!

A literary device
Will do more than suffice.
Aliteration, Metaphor, Similie
Personification, Idiom, Hyperbole.

Sensory images smell extremely delicious.
They feel soft to the skin, and taste satisfyingly nutritious.
They sound swell in my ear and look fantastic, my dear,
But use them too much: there's no problem as such!

Speaking of problems, I could mention analogies.
They are to stories as bank accounts are to salaries.
They compare two things, that are common in a way,
But drastically different in the way they are made.

An idiom, you idiot;
It's raining cats and dogs!
Not just a drop in a bucket,
It makes you high on the hog.

Improve your vocabulary,
Son, I plead.
Because there are lives out there
that need some good company.

Now a symbol is difficult
Not  exactly a metaphor-
For it represents itself,
and possibly so much more!

Now, Son, go on a search.
I want you to find a symbol from a perch.
Look from up high, where you can see it all.
When you're up in the sky, it's impossible to fall!
This is English. Face it, it's not easy-
So many things that can change what they're meaning!
The significance of something from one to another
might change in a word choice, or even a stutter.
You're an author, write the words.
You're a poet, blow up worlds.
You're an artist, abstract away!
Because the beauty in it all is that it is not just one way.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lift

Trust me, I'm 100% sure I have no idea -the Future